Monday, October 5, 2009

Pan's Labyrinth


In the movie Pan’s Labyrinth, a girl named Ofelia is approached by the faun and tells her she was a princess in past life. The faun told her she could become a princess again if she does the 3 things he asks her to do. She does it but she faces challenges such as temptations.

When I watched the movie for the first time last Wednesday, I was fascinated since the beginning of the movie. I heard that it was very good and it made me curious as to what people were talking about. I felt the element in the movie was dark and gloomy which is good because it made the movie the way it should be. The characters were wonderful and engrossing, especially Ofelia. She was very disobedient. I admire her because she goes with her guts and thinks what’s right. I was sad but at the same time mad that the captain killed her at the end. She didn’t deserve to die. I mean, she’s just a girl that disobeys. I am sure a lot of kids disobey. She was stubborn in the scene where she had to retrieve a knife from some place. She let temptations get the best of her when she passed a table full of food. The faun and the fairies warned her not to eat anything or the pale man would eat her. She managed to escape. There were a few scenes that made my jaw drop, especially when the captain does those ruthless things to innocent people. The captain was very heartless and didn’t care about people’s feelings. When he smashes the peasant’s face in with a bottle I was shocked because I didn’t think anyone could do that. I cringed when I saw the hand of the captured rebel. It was torn in half. I couldn’t believe it. I was hoping he was not going to hurt Mercedes but luckily she escaped. He is a sadistic person because he was trying to live up to his father’s image. I guess his father didn’t accept him so the captain was trying to be powerful and did all those cruel things.

   In the end, I was enthralled in that movie. I loved it. I want to watch it again sometime. I felt like this was the best movie made the year it came out. It was a world filled with imaginary and reality. I would recommend people to watch Pan’s Labyrinth because they too will become enthralled in the movie. They will love the movie just like I love the movie

No comments:

Post a Comment