
In Lunsford page 854, I was reading a piece on safe sex. It was called “Selling Safe Sex in Public Schools” and it was an interesting and good piece. The purpose of this piece was to promote safe sex by having sex education in public schools. Many teenagers are viewing sexual explicit content in music videos, magazines, movies, and commercials. The debate on whether or not having sex education would benefit has increased in recent years because of substantial increases in federal funding for abstinence-only programs.
A young woman named Shelby Knox stands a devout Christian who has pledged abstinence until marriage since she was 15. She became an advocate for comprehensive sex education. She attracted the attention of documentary filmmakers, thus documenting her efforts in the film “The Education of Shelby Knox” which has been broadcasted nationally and won an award. She fought to get sex education in classes. She is currently a government major at The University of Texas. She is a member of the Student Senate, University Democrats and Madrigal Choir. Shelby continues to be an advocate for comprehensive sex education.

I have been researching different articles about how old the kids get exposed to sex education and most says as young as 5. I was a little surprised but I guess they’re trying to reduce the number of pregnancies and diseases by exposing the kids at a younger age. There should be more people that would fight to get sex education in schools. We all need that because nowadays I am noticing more and more girls are getting pregnant my age. At my old public school in VA I remember all these girls always with guys. When I left to go to WVSD and graduated there and came back to VA to my hometown I felt a little change. I saw some of the girls pushing a stroller and I was thinking to myself, “ What happened to _____? (My hometown.) One girl at my old job was pregnant and recently had a child and I didn’t know until just recently last week. She was 17 or 18 and graduated this year. She was a cheerleader. I just wish she used protection because she had a good head on her shoulders and has almost all her life to have child.
I think if others read this piece by Michelle Bryant on Selling Safe in Public Schools they would be fascinated in that piece because it is about a young woman fighting for what is right by getting sex education in schools. She struggled with the Education Board to support gay teens that wanted to form gay-straight alliance in the school but was denied by School Board. We teens need to bring down the pregnancy numbers because one day there will not be enough room on earth or economy will be so bad we cannot afford to feed the small mouths.
Picture credentials: Sex Education: floyd87.files.wordpress.com/.../ sexedu_1_1.jpg
Sex Education is Birth Control: 4.bp.blogspot.com/.../ bzgtJX3qJXo/s400/0237.jpg
I'm totally for teaching kids to have sex but I wonder how many of those 14 and 15 year old never even thought about sex til they were forced to take a class about it. Did those kids, in turn, decide they should experiment with sex anyways now that they knew about it. I know lots of kids hear and see sexual things way before they should but not ALL of them do. Sometimes assuming they all have hurts more than it helps.
ReplyDeletei loveddddd sex education is birth control picture, a very good point!
ReplyDeleteInteresting last sentence :) I wonder how long it will take for Earth to reach its capacity. Mars, anyone?
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with Yossarian, I never thought about sex until I took sex education in middle school. I think that the main reason why teenagers decided to have sex at younger age because they wanted to be rebellicious and having the thrill of knowing that they do something that is wrong. Sometimes, exposing children about something would attract their attention like drinking,and smoking.
ReplyDeleteshelby knox sounds like she is a great person, and what she does is great. :)
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with your last paragraph! That's so true!
ReplyDeleteI concur with Yossarian's statement. How many young kids know what sex is until they learn about it in school? I remember my first time I found out what sex meant, and I was eight years old. I knew about it before I had Sex. Ed in Elementary School. I think the majority of kids whose parents are open to teaching them things even when it's at a young age know more about sex than those whose parents aren't as sharing. As a result of that, I have to wonder what happens as soon as these kids find out? Do they start freaking out? Feel pressured to have sex?
ReplyDeleteI think all kids just know about sex.. regardless of the "birds and bees" story and stories similar to that. If fourteen or fifteen-year old kids do not know about sex, there's something very wrong with that.
ReplyDeleteThere are two choices that the educators had to choose one of them which are teaching and exposing the young fellows early about sex education to prevent from many dangers, or let the young kids to have their innocence until their early teen years. In my belief, the innocence is the most important trait that any kid could ever have, and to take it from them it could be considered a crime to me.
ReplyDelete