Empathy:
When Azar thinks of the word empathy he thinks about Huckleberry Finn. Huck gives up his life to have a friendship with a runaway slave, Jim. He imagines Jim not as a slave but as a human being. When I think of the word empathy I think about the soldiers in Iraq fighting for our country. They put their lives on the line to protect our freedom and rights. Sometimes I think they are over there fighting for no reason.
When Azar says a particular scene out of Huck Finn is associated with a difficult time in his life, I started thinking about a time when my school went on a strike because they were unhappy with our school. It is not really connected to Azar’s difficult time but I supported my friends who were on strike. I had their back because I was unhappy too. We were on strike for almost three days but on the third day most of us got suspended. Many parents were infuriated at the principal and supertindent. A lot of the students were happy because it meant a little vacation for them. The following Monday, we were planning on going on a strike again until we got what we wanted. Monday rolls around and the supertindent and some of the staff and us all went into out Multipurpose Room (MPR) and had a meeting. They say they will meet some of our goals and work on the rest too. We were happy.
Values:
Everyone’s values are different. For Azar, he believes the experience in his life reinforces his belief in the mysterious connection that links individuals to each other despite their vast differences. I think the freedom to express his opinions is one of his values. He learns his values through experience and associating others by learning from their experiences too. Azar stands up for what he believes in and I applaud him for that. We should all fight for what we believe in. As Azar says, “And it is at times like this when I ask myself, am I prepared--- like Huck Finn—to give up Sunday school heaven for the kind of hell that Huck chose?” I believe when you fight for what you believe in is worth it.
Yes, totally worth going to hell for fighting what you believe in. Everyone shouldn't be afraid to do that.
ReplyDeleteYeah, Huck gave up his life just to ensure the safety of his friend... Truly remarkable.
ReplyDeleteI like your example about the army in Iraq.. I agree with you that they are pointless to be fighting in there.
ReplyDeleteIt is always nice and show that you are doing it for someone. Just like the solders doing for our country. Sometime it is sad for people to continue complain over little thing. Think about solders who don't complain.
ReplyDeleteWhen reading your example about the soldiers in Iraq, a song came to mind. This is War by Smile Empty Soul. If you have time, I encourage you to look up the lyrics. Very powerful.
ReplyDeleteAmen to fighting what you believe in!
Cancan, i read the lyrics. WOW is all i can say. It is powerful. I never heard that song until you suggested it to me. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteInteresting thinking about empathy and soldiers in Iraq. I disagree with that. Not a soldier myself, so I can't really speak for them, but I think soldiers would not ask for empathy. They deserve to be honored for their service instead of feeling empathy for them. At least that would what I would want. It does not matter if they are fighting for no reason, but they are fighting for our freedom and safety. That's why we rise our America flag to honor them.
ReplyDeleteGreat piece of writing, by the way.
Wow, Jane, we truly do think alike. Remember, this is not 1940s, when U.S. was in crisis and they drafted many unwanted, unwilling factory workers. Today, the soldiers chose to join and serve the country. How do you think the soldiers who served their time in Iraq would feel if the Americans complained how stupid the war is. Jane Doe is right, honoring them is best thing we should do instead of empathizing them.
ReplyDeleteBeside that, you wrote a good piece of story. Well done.
Nafisi is a WOMAN.
ReplyDeleteBesides that, I love the way you connected your experiences with the argument in the story. I have a very good guy friend currently in Iraq. I ask him everyday why he's freaking there. He always tells me it's what he feels is right. He feels like he's making the world safer for me and everyone else. I may not agree with him in the least (peace and love, baby haha) but I respect him for standing up for what he believes is right.