During my senior year, my brother convinced me to come to Florida for the summer. I was excited to go, but with one hitch: I had to ask my grandparents for permission to ride with them after I graduate. It was getting closer and closer to graduation and my grandparents and father did not think it was a good idea to go because they wanted me to get a summer job up where I live, but they also wanted to make sure I had everything set to go for Gallaudet University. I told them that I would get everything done before I graduate. I finally convinced my grandparents to let me go. June 12 came around and it was time for me to graduate. We were all happy. I spent all day repacking my clothes for Florida. The next day, we left for Florida. It was a 11 hour drive. We finally arrived at the place me and my brother were staying. I was happy that I went to Florida for the summer. I had a good experience and I met new friends down there and I loved the deaf volleyball on Fridays.
Since I came here to Gally, I always have to inform my grandparents how I am doing in classes. I always inform her through texting, which is good because I hate talking on the phone. She texts me almost everyday to make sure I am going in the right track. I always tell her I am fine, I do my homework everyday.
I used language to explore my new life at gally. I made new friends and chatted with them a lot. We all have to sign here at gally so obviously we used language. Someday I want to explore Washington D.C. and see everything the city has to offer. I have already seen some places when I came to visit gally.
I had made a lot of decisions in my life such as not getting pressured by peers to do some things when I was in public schools. I skipped a lot of classes because I didn’t care about school. I never paid attention in classes. My public school was not a good place for me to be so my father made a decision to put me in the deaf school. I liked it there because I interacted with other deaf and hard of hearing students. I stayed another year there. But after a year there I started hating it. The students there were drama, drama, drama. I decided to quit after my Christmas break. All my family was shocked and a little mad. The staff at my school kept trying to make me come back. They convinced me to come back but I didn’t want to. I was happy to graduate because it meant that I was getting away from that school.
I think the first paragraph describes an act of argument and persuasion. I argued with my family to let me go to Florida when they didn’t think it was a good idea. I keep telling them that I will get everything done before I graduate but they did not believe me. I always tell them to be patient because I will get things done in time. I always talked to gally about any questions I had and always made sure they get all the important documents or information. I worked hard to get where I am at now. I took the ACT twice to get the Leadership Scholarship. I did not have a way to pay for college. I had to get loans to pay for college. I still have to work hard to keep the scholarship.
I understand how you felt in the high school. I was like you but the opposite. I wanted to quit my mainstreamed school. I loved my deaf school but hated at the same time because of drama and drama. I wanted to quit public school because I was so alone but the teachers made me to stay to graduate. I did last may, graduating means to leave the school forever.. good thing that we didnt quit before we graduate high school :)
ReplyDeleteLooking back, I may have complained about high school more than necessary. A year later, I feel as if a school isn't a school without drama.
ReplyDeleteNow, I've learned to really appreciate my years at a mainstreamed school and a residential school.
I'm glad you didn't quite and decided to come to Gallaudet instead! You and your brother are really awesome!!
I think we are all on the same boat. We didn't enjoy high school as much as we did because we were in the mainstream but if you think about it, it brought you here. You should cherish that more than anything. I know I do. I went through a lot of obstacles throughout my years in the Mainstream but everyday, I remind myself: "I am here. I am living my dream, the dream in which was formed when I was in the mainstream" and almost everything i've been through seems like nothing. Now, i'm enjoying my first year at Gallaudet University knowing that there will be struggles, more obstacles to face but I know that it will be less of a challenge because I no longer carry the barriers of communication. Welcome to GU!
ReplyDelete